3 THINGS WE CAN DO TO HELP
- Pray — Pray for the families affected, those who are assisting in recovery efforts, and for the communities as they recover and heal from the damage caused by the natural disaster.
- Give Directly — Financial resources will be necessary to help all the affected areas recover from the damage. Below is a list of organizations we recommend giving to in order to support the relief effort of natural disasters.
- Organize — As search and rescue efforts give way to recovery, volunteer teams will be needed to travel to affected areas. Consider volunteering of your time and energy to travel to affected areas to serve those who are suffering and have been affected by natural disasters.
OPERATION SALVAGE CHRISTMAS
Now that the students in Bay County are back in school with new clothes and shoes, it’s time to help the Bay County School District focus on Christmas! Administrators are asking for help to create a “North Pole” shopping experience for their parents. A warehouse will be converted into a display of 14,000 toys for parents to choose one toy per child in their family.
Our mission is to collect as many NEW & UNWRAPPED toys as possible from now until December 13th, 2018 to be dropped off in the Connect Center. Toys are needed for children ages infant–high school. When purchasing the toys, keep in mind that this may very well be the only gift a child will receive. With that in mind, gifts should be entertaining or useful, of good quality, NO battery operated or electronic items and easily transportable (family might be in transition).
For the middle and high school aged students, it was suggested that we consider gift cards ($15-$20 range) and toiletry gift sets. Walmart and Visa/MasterCard gift cards will be the easiest for them to use.
Supplies such as wrapping paper, ribbon, tape, name tags, and gift bags for a gift wrap station are also needed.
Due to health reasons, just like the shoes we recently collected, all items to include gift wrap supplies must be purchased NEW and unwrapped.
What an amazing opportunity to help these parents provide the best Christmas possible for their children. Our giving can help give them a little hope and joy this year after such a devastating experience as Hurricane Michael.
Again, you may bring toy donations to The Connect Center and contact Kandi Winters (850-508-3772) with any questions.
FBCTLH DISASTER RELIEF TEAM
The Billy Graham Disaster Relief organization under Samaritan’s Purse will be working in Wewahitchka and Albany, Georgia, for the weeks of November 25–December 15. If you would like to help in that region whether for a week or a day, contact Linda Teague for details.
First Baptist Church of Tallahassee recommends the following agencies if you are interested in providing assistance to those affected by natural disasters.
- Cooperative Baptist Fellowship Disaster Response — https://cbf.net/dr-volunteer
- Florida Baptist Disaster Relief — flbaptist.org/give/
- SBC North American Mission Board — sendrelief.org/donate/storm-relief-project/
- Samaritan’s Purse — samaritanspurse.org/our-ministry/donate-online/
- Southern Baptists of Texas — sbtexas.com/evangelism/disaster-relief/how-to-help/
- Texas Baptist Men — texasbaptistmen.org/
- CBF Disaster Relief Volunteer
- North American Mission Board Disaster Relief Volunteer