Fasting – part 2
By now, hopefully you’ve skipped at least one meal—or tried to do so. It’s ok if you sneaked a cracker. The point is that you tried, and you’ve learned that you can live off 2 meals in one day. What do you do during the time you’d normally eat? In Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster suggests some very practical things to do.
- Reflect on the truth that our deepest need is for God.
- Practice confession of sin and intercession for all those leading and participating
- Purify your motives in relationships. Admit when you have not forgiven someone, and seek reconciliation.
- Identify and list anxieties and burdens.
- Seek wisdom and discernment in important decisions.
- Focus on the ways God has blessed you. Express gratitude for him.
- Identify a need in your life.
- Meditate on Philippians.
With these practical suggestions, hopefully you can feast on Jesus’ presence. What other suggestions do you have for people learning to fast?